For those who want to draw closer to God but may not know how, here’s a few tips (in no particular order):
1. Give God thanks- Despite all that’s going on, surely there are things to express gratitude to God for.
2. Pray- Talk to the Lord, tell Him what’s on your heart and mind.
3. Read and meditate on His Word: Take time to read the Bible (in a translation you understand). You can start with a topic or a theme that may connect to your situation or feelings.
4. Confess and repent- Declare (and practice) turning away from behaviors that you discover through reading God’s Word, are not pleasing to Him or against His ways.
5. Practice forgiveness and show love- What are you holding on to, who do you have grudges against? Forgiveness and love helps develop the sincere Christ-like qualities within us and brings out humility.
This is not an exhaustive list but I think it’s a good starting point. I believe these steps will help open us to become more in tune with God’s Word and His will for our lives.
Isaiah 55:6- Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: 7. Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
I want to be lazy and give in to indifference; making the minimum effort (read a little and pray a little) just enough to note a difference or a slight increase in my usual devotion, but not enough for it to hurt, stretch or challenge me. This, I know, is a crazy and impossible way to think when true transformation is the goal.
Being honest with myself, I can conclude that I am often times neglectful with placing Our engagement as a priority. Usually making Our time a past-time-as in an afterthought. I am tempted to glory in the fact that at least I do make sure to spend time with You consistently, but the reality is it’s not my Best time; not when I am my sharpest or most energetic, but often when I am tired and about to call it quits for the day-
You deserve so much more than my scraps!
Your Word, God, however, gives me strength; it fuels me to read deeper and draws my heart to fall on my knees in prayer-sacred time with You. It reminds me of my minute existence in the core of Your grand hand. I am joined to the fact that You are worthy of me surrendering anything that I could ever consider to be a sacrifice and my obedience above that.
My desire is to be All-In with You.
In order to be successful, I will look at Our day by day and not the perfect picture because sometimes that overwhelms me. I am looking forward to growth and am also preparing for the growing pains. I will open my arms to the discomfort in shedding the ‘comfy me’ and work on releasing my need to be in control. You have already promised that You are with me.
Thank You for going before me. Continue reading “Desire, One Day at a Time”
Layers and layers of people we encounter moment by moment, Oh, for the secret thoughts and battles of the mind to be revealed. . .
The real you, the real me padded and primmed, tucked and trimmed; gently covered like knees under church doilies, clasped like staunch prayer fingers aiding in the request for deliverance from condemned temptations, but, “The Lord looketh at the heart”…